Friday, December 31, 2010

I Want My Internet and I Want it Now!

Part of your job as a librarian is to give your patrons access to information.  Actually, that's the biggest part of your job.  Some of that information might be found in books, other in magazines, newspapers, on microfilm or on the internet.  Heck, we get phone calls from regular patrons and others from out of state utilizing us as their personal 411 service.  We look up phone numbers, give recommendations for meals, give directions, etc. etc.

It gets annoying from time to time, but it's part of the job.

Back to the internet.

Patrons in good standing can logon to our system.  They each get 60 minutes a day.  If they need extra time (usually reserved for just homework) we can grant that if there's no one waiting.  We also allow out of town guests to use our system, leaving an ID or something at the front desk in return for a guest pass.  We also have free wireless, no access code needed.  I know of patrons who have parked in our lot at night to access the web.  Just another service we offer.

Lots of times, I might not even talk to a patron using a computer.  They come in, make their own reservation at the laptop and logon.  If a guest comes in, I might have to show him how to use the system.  If they print something out, they have to come to the desk to release and pick up their print job (done so we don't waste paper).

There are some patrons that make me giggle when they use the PCs.  I pass one gentleman every morning on my way to work.  (I drive, he walks).  He's there not long after we open and gets on the internet immediately.  What does he do?  He plays games on the internet.  One day, I heard the sound of a digital camera.  This man was holding up his cell phone, taking pictures of his high score.  I catch him doing it occasionally and it always makes me shake my head.

Then there are the ANGRY COMPUTER PATRONS.  One such lady was at the library yesterday.  She approached the desk, telling us that her computer had locked up.  My co-worker and I looked at each other and she decided to check it out.  She stormed back to the counter a few minutes later.  She had asked the lady what she was doing, trying to figure out what had locked the computer up.  The woman kept cutting her off, complaining that she had LOST THREE MINUTES OF HER COMPUTER TIME!  (The horror!)  Before my co-worker could explain that, because it was our problem, her time would be restored, the lady continued to complain that she'd lost time and kept cutting her off.  My co-worker got the computer rebooted, logged the patron back on and had returned to the desk.  After going through all of this with me, I hear my co-worker grunt and she grabs my elbow.

Co: OMG!
Me: What?
Co:  That!  That's what was so important!
Me: What are you talking about?
Co: (steering me to see the computer screen of the patron) THAT!  She had to get on FACEBOOK!
Both: (synchronized eye-rolling)

Don't get me wrong, I love FB.  I have one that I've been known to check at work or even update from my cell (no, you can't have a link) and have argued with my bf on the good qualities of FB (he refuses to get one).  But to pitch a fit like a 4 year old not getting to play with his favorite toy because you can't check your FaceBook page?  Get. A. Life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment