Monday, May 9, 2011

What's Privacy?

Back to G____ of the Entitled Genealogists Guild. 

For some reason, our library has had anyone doing research in the genealogy room sign in at the front desk.  When I began working at the library, the explanation I got was that tracking how many patrons used the room, as well as from where they travelled, helped with our funding.  Not the case.  So, a co-worker redesigned the sign-in form, getting rid of the patron's contact information.  However, the book was still on the counter, there for the world to see.  This disturbed me, as well as the librarian who'd redesigned the form.

In the interim, I took some time to actually go through the family files.  I'd already spent time cataloging all of the microfilm, rearranging the books, rebinding, etc.  You know, the fun stuff :)  But I hadn't gone through the family files.  HOLY CRAP!  Addresses!  Phone numbers!  I spent two days blacking out personal contact information (addresses & phone numbers, not names since it IS the genealogy room).  I killed three Sharpies in the process.  At the end of it, I felt pretty damn satisfied with my work.  But those damn books were still there.

I approached the director a few weeks ago, to ask about the books and voiced my concerns regarding patron privacy.  The books had been stored in a filing cabinet IN THE ROOM.  I found books from 1993.  I spent many days shredding sign in forms.  In fact, I still have a pile on my desk.  Which brings me back to G____.

G____ asked me for the old sign-in books, because he needed to look up someone's email address.  I informed him that the books no longer existed as sharing this information was against library policy as it violated our patrons' privacy.  He was indignant! 

G___:  When I go to ____, they copy my driver's license before I go in!
Me:  Yes, but do they share that information with other researchers?
G___: What?
Me:  Just like we don't share what books you check out with anyone, I have to respect patrons' privacy.
G___:  I don't understand.  What if I need to contact someone?
Me:  I'm sorry.  If someone asks me for your phone number, I can't look in our system for it.  If I can find you in the phone book, I can do that.  Otherwise, I can't use our system to give out information.  Thus, I can't put this information out for other people.
G___:  Hmph.  (walks away)

What I don't understand is this mine used to work for an archiving agency!  He should know about privacy policies!  Argh.  Nothing like telling someone that they can't do something when they think that they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment