Friday, January 21, 2011

Yes, we have no computers! We have no computers today!

Yesterday, after being closed for 9 days (8 business), the library reopened.  Not all of the books were put away, some shelves still needed to be moved, the genealogy room was still a mess and the computers weren't hooked up yet thanks to a disappearing electrician, but we reopened.  When we left the night before at 7:45, weary from moving furniture and shelving books, we wondered how many patrons would be patient with us and how many would wonder what in the hell took us so long.

Before opening, I called the local radio station to announce that yes, we would be open, but that the public computers would not be available.  Our director had also posted that information on the website, FaceBook and Twitter the night before.  How many people would get that info, we didn't know.  It appears the answer was NONE.

At 9am, I walked to the back door to unlock it.  Standing outside were three regulars, all of whom visited us primarily to utilize our computers.  Argh.  I looked at the door before unlocking it.  Yup, there was the sign that the director had put up, very clearly stating that the computers were not available, along with a very nice "no computer" graphic to go right along with it.  I shook my head and unlocked the door, opening it for them.

Me:  Hi, guys!
Patrons: (mumbling) Hi. (they begin to walk forward)
Me:  You DO know that the computers are down, right?
Patrons:  (brains melting) No.........  Will they be available tomorrow?
Me:  Don't know.  We hope so, but I can't promise anything.
Patrons: (puppy dog eyes telling me I'm killing them slowly) Uh, ok.  (shuffle away)

While they acted like kids who didn't get their way, they at least were respectful, somewhat dignified and understood that not everything goes the way we like.  This is in great contrast to the woman who stomped and bitched at the front desk, telling my coworkers that the electrician should have been working at night and that her bills would be late.  Seriously?  You don't have internet access at home and you pay your bills online?  Ok.  I'll try to forgive you for that.  But you can't PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE AND PAY YOUR BILLS OVER THE PHONE?  Or, even you knew we were closed and had already had to delay opening by two days, why didn't you WRITE A DAMN CHECK AND SPEND 44 CENTS TO MAIL IT?

My mother has accused me of being book smart and lacking common sense, but great googly moogly Batman, even I could figure that one out.

Wait.  Maybe I AM a mental giant!  Hot damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment